The big game is coming up this week and Americans eat more wings on Super Bowl Sunday than any other day of the year. Try these honey sesame grilled wings as a nice change from Buffalo wings.
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Asian chili paste
- 2 pounds chicken wings, tips removed, cut apart at joint
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons hoisin sauce
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, trimmed and chopped
- 1. In a medium bowl, combine soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and chili paste. Add chicken and let marinate for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- 2. Set up a gas or charcoal grill for medium heat (350° to 400°; you can hold your hand 5 in. above the cooking grate only 5 to 7 seconds). Put chicken on grill and cover with lid. Cook, turning often, until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine honey and hoisin sauce. Using a pastry brush, generously baste chicken wings with honey glaze. Cover grill with lid and cook till honey glaze starts to caramelize, about 3 minutes. Turn chicken wings over and baste again, using the remaining honey glaze. Cook 3 minutes more, being careful not to let the glaze burn, removing pieces from the grill as they’re done.
- 4. Transfer to a platter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and green onion. Serve any remaining honey glaze on the side.