The stack of grilled eggplant, red onion, and zucchini are quite a mouthful but still tasty to eat. Grilled Farmers market sandwiches will sure give your appetite a good meal.
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 (1/2-inch-thick) slices eggplant
2 (1/2-inch-thick) slices red onion
1 large zucchini, cut lengthwise into 4 pieces
2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
4 (2 1/2-ounce) ciabatta bread portions, cut in half horizontally
Cooking spray $
4 (1-ounce) slices provolone cheese, halved
8 (1/4-inch-thick) slices tomato $
8 basil leaves
1. Preheat grill to medium-high.
2. Brush 1 tablespoon olive oil evenly over both sides of eggplant, onion, and zucchini. Sprinkle with rosemary, pepper, and salt.
3. Combine 1 tablespoon oil and vinegar in a bowl. Brush vinegar mixture over cut sides of bread.
4. Place onion on grill rack coated with cooking spray, and grill for 6 minutes on each side or until tender. Remove from grill, and separate into rings. Grill eggplant and zucchini 4 minutes on each side or until tender. Cut zucchini pieces in half crosswise.
5. Place bread, cut sides down, on grill rack; grill 2 minutes. Remove from grill. Place 1 piece of cheese on bottom halves bread portions; top each serving with 1 eggplant slice, 1 tomato slice, 1 basil leaf, 2 pieces zucchini, one-fourth of onion rings, 1 eggplant slice, 1 tomato slice, 1 basil leaf, 1 piece of cheese, and top half of bread. Place sandwiches on grill rack; grill 2 minutes, covered, or until cheese melts.