Citrus-laced mojo and tangy relish add big flavor to this Latin classic. Cuban Sandwiches will flourish you taste a bit more dramatically
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup minced onion $
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
6 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 cup fresh orange juice (about 2 oranges) $
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
8 ounces pork tenderloin $
1/2 cup finely chopped dill pickle
2 tablespoons prepared mustard
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 (3-inch) pieces Cuban bread, cut in half horizontally
8 thin slices deli less-sodium ham (about 3 ounces) $
4 (1-ounce) slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese $
1 cup baby spinach $
1. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, salt, oregano, black pepper, and minced garlic; sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat; stir in orange juice and lime juice. Reserve 2 tablespoons juice mixture; cover and refrigerate. Combine remaining juice mixture and pork in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate pork mixture in refrigerator at least 4 hours or overnight.
2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat.
3. Remove pork from bag; discard marinade. Place pork on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 15 minutes or until thermometer registers 155° (slightly pink), turning occasionally. Remove pork from grill. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 10 minutes. Cut pork into 16 thin slices.
4. Combine pickle, reserved 2 tablespoons juice mixture, mustard, and 2 teaspoons oil in a small bowl; stir until well blended.
5. Hollow out top and bottom halves of bread, leaving a 1/2-inch-thick shell; reserve torn bread for another use. Spread 2 teaspoons pickle mixture over cut side of each half. Arrange 4 pork slices, 2 ham slices, 1 cheese slice, and 1/4 cup spinach on each bottom half of bread; cover with top halves.
6. Heat a large nonstick grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add sandwiches to pan. Place a cast-iron or heavy skillet on top of sandwiches; gently press to flatten. Leave skillet on; cook 4 minutes on each side or until cheese melts and bread is toasted.